Sunday, January 11, 2009

Book Review

I finished my first book for 2009, and at 598 pages in length, it's no wonder I am a bit behind on folding laundry. If you are looking for a good mystery and loved The DaVinci Code, pick up The Eight by Katherine Neville. It was first published 20 years ago.

Synopsis: The Montglane Service, an ornate, jeweled chess set given to Charlemagne by the Moors, is said to hold a code which when deciphered will bring great power. Nations and individuals have schemed to possess all the pieces. As the set is dispersed during the French Revolution, a young novice risks her life to safeguard it. Alternating with her story are the present-day efforts of a U.S. computer expert and a Russian chess master to assemble the set and solve its mystery. Studying the code involves musical notation, chess strategy, Fibonacci numbers, and mysticism.

I really enjoyed this book, and plan on reading the sequel, The Fire, very soon. The sequel was released just a few months ago. This afternoon I headed to Borders to purchase it, but then saw it will be released in paperback in April. I can wait until then.

My next book is The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Oh, I am so behind on my reading.... I need to take more baths!

Anonymous said...

I loved the DaVinci code! Thanks for the review :-)

Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

I get the laundry thing.. but I think I'm almost there. Congrats on the book. I'll check it out.