I was tagged on Facebook for 25 random things about me. Since I spent all that time doing it for FB, I thought I'd share with you.
1. My name is Margaret, and wouldn’t let anyone call me anything but Margaret when I lived in NY. Any time my parents would try to call me Maggie, I’d yell at them. When I moved to VA as a junior in high school I introduced myself to everyone as Maggie. Different state…different persona!!! You can call me either…or Mags, Magnanimous, Magnificent, etc.
2. I am 102 years old. LOL! My kids told me that when you turn 100, you die. So, a few months ago, when they asked me how old I was, I said , “101.” I celebrated my birthday last week. They told EVERYONE I was 102. Better to be 102 than 52 right now, right?!?!?
3. I love my last name, but I always thought I would change it when I got married. That said, I always said I could never marry a Smith or a Jones. In college, I dated a Bob Jones for 9 months. After college, I dated a Tom Smith for almost two years. I ended up marrying a Jones; not Bob, definitely Owen. So far, I’ve kept my last name…but, I am thinking of changing it almost 10 years later.
4. I love the Hokies!!! I haven’t been able to get to any regular season game since having kids, but I’ve been to every ACC championship game Tech’s been in (2 in Jacksonville, one in Tampa). Tech’s record in the championship is 2-1.
5. Even if VT isn’t playing, I love watching college football. I love watching the NY Giants playing. Any other NFL team?...meh! BTW, I cried when the Giants won the Superbowl last year…and I was bummed when they lost in the playoffs this season.
6. I love watching baseball; it doesn’t matter what level of play (Little League, Babe Ruth, minors, Majors, etc. My favorite team is the NY Yankees. When I pitched softball in high school, my teammates called me Goose (Gossage). I remember when Thurmon Munson died in 1979…I was in San Francisco. I like following the Mets too. My favorite all-time Mets player is Tom Seaver. I hope my children become Nationals fans though. They are their local team.
7. I have 3 brothers and 1 sister. They range in age from 25 to 43. The “baby” is a “Southerner”, having been born in VA 3 weeks after our family moved there from the Bronx. At least, he was conceived in NY, right?!?! LOL
8. When I was 10, my parents built a beach home in East Quogue, NY. Since my mom worked in education, we were able to spend the whole Summer at the beach. I’ve visited many beaches all over the country…nothing beats the beaches on Long Island.
9. I love that we have been able to rent a place near my folks’ beach home for a month each July. It’s great catching up with my NY peeps and extended family. It would be cool if we can get a Pelham Bay reunion going in the near future. It’s been great catching up with everyone through FB.
10. My favorite number is 222. It’s based on a drinking game my friends made up in college. The game is based on quarters but everyone drinks. The game was named 222 because that was the hotel room we were in when we came up with the rules.
11. Back in the late 80s, many of us said we should celebrate a holiday reunion on 02.20.02. On that day, though, I was 24 weeks pregnant with my firstborn twins, Ned and Nora. Unfortunately, they were born and died that day. Ned lived 10 hours, and Nora, almost 15.
12. 222 is still my favorite number. When I see 2:22 come up on the clock I think of my sweet babes. Although I couldn’t get it at first, Ned and Nora gave me the gift of hope. I now have 3 earth angels to cherish: Banana & Tank(b. 10.03) and KK(b. 05.05).
13. Since then, I have participated in the March of Dimes March for Babies every year in their honor. This year our March is on Owen’s birthday, April 19th. If you can support me, I’d greatly appreciate it. You can find my personal page at http://www.marchforbabies.org/hokiehi.
14. I love to read; I’m on my fourth book this year. For 2009, I thought I’d give a review of all the books I’ve finished on my blog. I got spooked when I saw that one of my reviews was visited by someone in the same town as the author and where the story takes place. So far, I’ve read The Eight, by Katherine Neville (awesome); The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright (okay); Twilight , by Stephanie Meyers (okay). Now I’m reading Extreme Measures by Vince Flynn. If you like Baldacci, you’ll like Flynn.
15. I just slurped spaghetti sauce all over my shirt. Thank God it’s not white!!!
16. I live less than 30 minutes from Washington, DC. I worked there, I meet friends there, I get my hair done there, but I never sightsee. I want to start taking my kids there once a month or so to take in the sights and visit the museums. There’s no reason for us to not take advantage of all the nation’s capital has to offer.
17. When I was growing up, golf was always on TV at my Nan’s house on Sunday afternoons. I remember being quite bored when we showed up for Sunday dinner. The Lawrence Welk show came on after golf. Double yawn!!! I took up golf when I was in law school. I love watching golf on Sundays now. My kids hate it…Ha!
18. I met Owen at a restaurant named, “That’s Amore.” Enough said!!! We’ve been married for 9 years and together for 14years (is that a double itch?).
19. I can cry at the drop of a hat. Happy tears, sad tears, nervous tears…it happens frequently and it’s embarrassing. I don’t have a pretty cry.
20. I am hearing impaired. Many people are surprised when they find out as I can read lips well.
21. I was on the moot court team in law school. When one of my co-workers told her husband I was going to Colorado for a moot court team meeting, he told her, “She’s not moot (mute); she’s deaf.” LOL
22. My favorite color is purple, also the color of hope.
23. I’m a chocoholic. My favorite candy is the Cadbury mini-eggs that come out at Easter time only. I used to buy enough bags to last me a year. I was thrilled when they came out with the Xmas mini-eggs a few years ago.
24. When Banana & Tank were babies, I drove around with them in a Chevy Trailblazer, a very nice suburban mom’s SUV. Since KK was born, I drive around with them in a Chevy Suburban, a very “Don’t Fuck with Mama” SUV.
25. My family is my life…I want them all to be happy, healthy and safe!!!